This Mutation costs 4 Mutation points.
You are protected by a durable carapace.
At Level 1: Edit
- +3 AV
- -6 DV
- +10 Heat Resistance
- +10 Cold Resistance
- You may tighten your carapace to receive double the AV bonus
- Cannot wear armor
- +400 reputation with tortoises
|Mutation Level||AV Bonus||DV Penalty||Heat Resistance||Cold Resistance|
- Increased resistances
- Weighs nothing
- Starting level gives a higher armor value than most early game armor
- Irritable Tortoises and non-Dromad aligned Great Saltbacks start out friendly to you and will attack enemies that threaten you.
At level 10, this mutation's AV and DV values are exactly the same as the current highest tier body armor, Zetachrome Lune, unmodified. Additionally, Heat and Cold resistance are 5 times higher too, except for the small parts of addtional elemental resistances, making this mutation extremely valuable at higher levels.
|Zetachrome Lune||Zetachrome Lune
|Mod (4 max)|
- Significantly lowers your DV at low levels
- You can not wear body armor
- Taking practically any action loosens a tightened carapace, making the active ability not that useful outside of very niche applications (such as tightening the carapace before using Disintegration to minimize the damage taken while paralyzed)
- Reinforced Zetachrome Lune provides better AV than fully upgraded Carapace (when not tightened)
- The initially high DV penalty of the unleveled mutation will make for a massively different early game experience. Your DV will be 0, meaning you will practically be hit and damaged by almost every attack. This requires for an adjusted approach when engaging opponents until the mutation is leveled enough and compensating equipment has been found. After hitting the AV / DV sweet spot, the mutation pays off and you can resume a normal play style again.
- You take longer to recover from Prone, requiring multiple save attempts.
- When using the wish command for this mutation, you need to wish for "mutation:Carapace" rather than simply "Carapace" or you will receive an instance of the carapace armor object rather than the mutation.